Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Review: The Winged Enchangment Oracle Deck

R E V I E W

The Winged Enchantment Oracle Deck
by Lesley Morrison (Author), _Lisa Hunt_  (Illustrator)
_U.S. Games Systems Inc._ (March 10, 2015)
ISBN-10: 1572816732
ISBN-13: 978-1572816732
Cards: 3.5” x 5.75”



The Winged Enchantment Oracle Deck
TOP LINE (formerly Bottom Line)

I’m not one who needs to be “sold” on Lisa Hunt’s art. I became a fan of hers a long, long time ago when I discovered her Shapeshifter Tarot (D.J. Conway, author; Llewellyn Publications). I find birds to be intriguing, often stunningly beautiful creatures, so I looked forward to seeing Lisa work her magic with them.

I was not disappointed. I quickly searched the deck for my favorite birds – Starling, Crow, Falcon, Hawk, Owl, Raven, and Seagull – happy to be drawn in by the images, symbols, and spirit inhabiting each one.

I really like the way Lesley Morrison wrote the accompanying guidebook, using first person to give us the feeling that each bird is speaking directly to us about itself. At the end of each bird’s self-description, the reader is addressed as “You,” encouraging us to identify with and own the qualities we have just read about.

One excellent way to get to know the deck is to study the card for a few minutes, then read the page in the guidebook, then study the card again, and read the guidebook page again. From Blackbird to Wren, you will see and understand something new and valuable each time. I will be doing a “deck interview” with this deck in the near future!


THE PUBLISHER'S PRODUCT SUMMARY

“Inspired by the majesty and mythos of birds great and small, The Winged Enchantment Oracle invites us to spread our wings as we venture on our own soul journeys. Mesmerizing shape-shifter artwork beckons us to see multiple levels of meaning and new perspectives on our earthly experiences.”

BASIC INFORMATION

The set includes 39 oracle cards and a 48-page illustrated guidebook with custom card spreads, including The Single Card Draw, The Classic Three-Card Spread, The Hidden Influence Spread (5 cards), The Grounding Spread (6 cards), and The Bird in Flight Spread (11 cards).

Author Lesley Morrison (Vancouver, Canada) has studied animals within religious, spiritual, and multicultural frameworks for over fifteen years. She is also an avid bird watcher and wildlife rescuer. In the guidebook that accompanies this deck, she writes: “The companion booklet will guide you as you begin to see each bird as a conduit for expansive knowledge and perspective. It was our aim that the images and words would meld into a single expression of each creature’s spirit, but what truth is gleaned from this oracle will be unique to each reader.”

Each bird has a page devoted to it, incorporating an element from the card illustration in black-and-white, the number and title of the card, a description written in first person, and a message directed at the reader centered in italic type at the bottom of the page.

Here is the page for number 7, Crow:

The Winged Enchantment Oracle Deck

APPEARANCE, SIZE, QUALITY

The cards measure 3.5” x 5.75” and are printed on sturdy card stock. The front of each borderless card features an illustration that takes up the entire card face. At the bottom the number and name of the card appears against a parchment background enclosed in a golden brown oval with a feather design.

The reversible card backs feature a purple feathered background with a circular gold design in the the center.

Please note: The cards have rounded corners. I have squared the corners on my scans.

ART

“The watercolor paintings by Lisa Hunt capture humanity’s deep connection with the avian world, by presenting a visual blending of the two realms. Lisa Hunt is also the creator of Fantastical Creatures Tarot and the award-winning Ghosts and Spirits Tarot.” (U.S. Games Inc.)


Lisa Hunt’s artwork has been described in words such as “mystical” and “flowing.” She is a master at magically blending human bodies and faces with those of animals – without losing the unique qualities of either one in the process. Sometimes, the human presence seems stronger in the image, sometimes the animal seems stronger, and sometimes they seem perfectly balanced.

The Winged Enchantment Oracle Deck
On social media, I recently read the following comment by Lisa Hunt concerning the Hummingbird card from this deck: “A few years ago I sketched my friend Sivabruntha. She is an amazing musician who inspired me to play piano again. Later she became inspiration for the Hummingbird card in the Winged Enchantment Oracle. A lot of people have told me they really love this card.”

Be sure to visit Lisa’s web site to watch a time-lapse video of her creation of the _Chickadee-Shapeshifter_ from this deck. On her blog, she describes and illustrated the creation of the _Mockingbird-Shapeshifter_ card, _Ostrich-Shapeshifter_, and more.





7 comments:

  1. This is just like all her other artwork; so beautiful! The owl is my favorite card so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I love gazing at the images and letting my eyes wander deep into the details. I share your love for the owl card, Ellen!

      Delete
  2. Great review and overview Zanna. I agree with your method of getting to know the deck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Zanna,

    I post my comment here because it's about oracle deck and I didn't find a review about Past Life Oracle by Doreen Virtue.

    I had little information about a past life and my mother offered me the Past Life Oracle by Doreen Virtue so that it could help me. The drawing is with only three cards and I was disappointed because I thought I could explore this past life in deeper way. The three cards I drew were eloquent, but it was just a short summary of what happened in that past life. I would like to know if there is a different method to try that would be more complete? I wanted to add some cards in order to get more information but is it fully reliable with this oracle? I need some advice.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for stopping by. I don't have enough experience with past life readings to advise you on this. I don't have any way of judging whether the Past Life Oracle is "reliable" or not. I hope you are able to find the answers you seek.

      Delete
  4. Hello Zanna,

    Thank you for your honesty. I hope so. Your blog is really great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna